Samuel Dana Building (West Medical Building)
In 1961 the West Medical Building was given to the School of Natural Resources. The West Medical Building was located on East University. Spier and Rohns were the architects, and Koch Brothers, of Ann Arbor were in charge of construction. The building was completed in 1903, in the Renaissance style, was rectangular, measuring 175 by 145 feet, with an inner court 75 by 45 feet which admitted light to all parts of the building.
The structure consisted of a basement and three stories. The basement and first story were faced with dressed field stone, laid in course. The upper stories were of pressed brick of light buff color and mottled, with ornamental and molded brick for belt courses, arches and cornices.
The two main ornamental entrances on the east and west sides were constructed of Bedford limestone. The vestibules were faced with dark red pressed brick. The interior of walls and nearly all partitions were finished with stock brick and coated with enamel paint. The floors and corridors throughout the building were of quarter-sawed Georgia pine, except in the case of the anatomical laboratories which have monolithic water-tight floors. The ceilings throughout were of wood. The general finish of the interior was of Louisiana red cypress.
West Medical Building facing the Diag
West Medical Building facing East University
Original Medical Building (left) West Medical Building (right)
The building was named in honor of Samuel Dana, who came from Massachusetts in 1920 to become Dean of the School of Conservation and Forestry.