President’s House - 1925-1929
President Burton was suceeded by Clarence Cook Little. Little came from the University of Maine where he had served as president for three years. He paid little attention to the President’s House during his four-year stay in Ann Arbor. Embroiled in almost continual controversy, Little resigned from the presidency of the University in 1929.
On August 17, 1929, after a hearing of six minutes in the Circuit Court of Washtenaw County, a divorce was granted to Clarence Cook Little, on grounds of legal desertion of fourteen years duration. Little settled all of his property, amounting to $100,000, in trust to his former wife and three children, which gave them an annual income of from nine to twelve thousand dollars a year.
Alexander G. Ruthven followed Little as president. Ruthven had been at Michigan since 1903, first as a graduate student and then as professor of zoology and museum director. Frances Ruthven was also an Alumna of the University. President and Mrs. Ruthven displayed a sense of nostalgia in restoring some of the original furnishings of the President’s House. A private study was added in the northeast corner for the president, and a plant room between the sun porch and the president’s study for Mrs. Ruthven.
The Ruthven’s were well known for their student teas. The house was filled with antiquities and tours were given to students during these teas.