New Engineering Building
In 1902 construction began on the four-storied structure known for years as the New Engineering Building and later renamed West Engineering. The building was completed in 1903 and opened for classes in the fall of 1904.
The New Engineering Building was planned for 600 students. By the time the building opened there were 828 students and the new facility was almost immediately overcrowded.
In 1910 the Building was extended one hundred feet over the Naval Tank, as was provided in the original plans. The Naval Tank, built in the New Engineering Building in 1904 was the only one in this country with the exception of the government’s tank in Washington, D.C. Equipment was available for studies relating to ship resistance, shallow-water effect, streamline flow, wave profiles, wake, and rolling, as well as a model room and workshop for making models of vessels.
The Naval Towing Tank
When Professor Charles Denison learned that there was a serious problem of how to design the New Engineering Building without interfering with the diagonal walk of the campus he prepared a sketch showing the diagonal walk passing through an archway in the building. The Arch was named the Denison Archway in his honor. In later years it was referred to as the “Engineering Arch."
Dean's Office in the New Engineering Building