In May of 1894 the Regents named the new recitation building used by the College of Literature, Science and the Arts in honor of Henry Tappan. A large lecture room on the second floor was devoted to the special use of classes in history and economics. President Angell held his class in International Law in this room.
For many years certain sections of Tappan Hall were reserved for courses in education, while parts of the building were assigned to various departments of the Literary College. For some time the administrative offices of the School of Education, as well as the Appointment Bureau for Teachers, were in Tappan Hall until the new Education Building was finished in 1930.
In 1930 Tappan Hall housed the School of Business Administration. The Business Administration Library was in the large room at the south end of the second floor. The School moved into its own new building in 1948.
In 1948 the Fine Arts and German departments of the Literary College occupied most of the building.