The Anatomical Laboratory was completed in 1889. The erection of this laboratory was the result of a long-standing demand for better facilities for the study of anatomy, which had been emphasized since the days of Dr. Moses Gunn, who became Professor of Anatomy in 1849 and set up what must be regarded as the first laboratory in the University. In fact, for a time the first Medical Building was known as the Laboratory Building.
At the October, 1887, meeting of the Regents President Angell announced:
"It having been found advisable to furnish in the medical building ampler accommodations for the physiological and microscopical laboratories, we were forced to erect a new building for our anatomical work, and to make large changes in the medical building. This has entailed an expense for which no provision has been made by special appropriation. But the necessity was so pressing that the wisdom of the step cannot be questioned. We gain the great incidental advantage of securing improved sanitary conditions for the medical building by the removal from it of all the work of dissection. Never before was it so well fitted for its purpose as it is now." (Regent's Proceedings, 1886-91, p. 157.)
The legislature made no provision for the Anatomical Laboratory Building, and it was erected through an appropriation from the general fund. In 1889, however, a legislative appropriation of $7,958.63 defrayed the cost of its construction.
The building was a simple structure of brick with stone trim, containing the laboratory room on the second floor, a small dissecting room for women and washrooms on the first floor. It was approximately 35 by 50 feet. It was torn down when the work in anatomy was removed to the West Medical Building, which was completed in 1903.