Steam Heating Plant
The first University structures erected in 1840 and those added to the physical plant up to the year 1879 were heated by wood-burning stoves.
In 1879 two heating plants were installed, and steam became the medium for heating the buildings. One of these heating units was erected just northeast of University Hall, and the other was housed in a lean-to addition built at the east end of the Chemical Laboratory. The first of these two units provided the heating for the Law Building, University Hall, the Library, the Museum, the Dental Building, and the Homeopathic Hospital. These structures formed a compact group of buildings in the west and north sections of the campus. The second unit provided for the heating of the Chemical Laboratory and the Medical Building in the eastern part of the campus.