Simpson Memorial Institute
The Thomas Henry Simpson Memorial Institute for Medical Research was the result of a $400,000 bequest to the University by Mrs. Christine Simpson, of Detroit, in memory of her husband. The primary subject for research, as stipulated by the donor, was the study of pernicious anemia and its treatment. Other disorders affecting the blood were also investigated. Designed by Albert Kahn, the four-story granite building was dedicated on February 10, 1927.
- The first floor housed a handsomely furnished walnut-paneled lobby, the offices of the director and secretaries, a library and a conference room.
- The second floor was devoted to the laboratories and offices of the junior staff members.
- The third floor accommodated ten patients, nursing office, diet kitchen, and treatment and utility rooms.
- A lecture room, photographic room, and quarters for animals were on two basement floors.