Mott Children’s Hospital
In April of 1964 the Regents accepted a gift of $6,000,000 from the Charles Stewart Mott Foundation of Flint for the C. S. Mott Children's Hospital, constructed at 1430 North Hospital Drive. The project, designed by Albert Kahn Associates and constructed by Miller-Davis Company, was completed in September of 1969 at a cost of $9,458,000, financed by the Mott gift, other gifts, and federal funds. The structure included 2,440,896 cubic feet and 184,461 gross square feet. The eight-story structure with 200 beds contained its own pediatric X-ray facilities, operating rooms, anesthesia unit and technical services but, for the sake of economy, obtained a number of supportive services from the main hospital. There was a special area for teenage patients and, when the hospital opened, its 26-bed Neonatal Intensive Care Unit was believed to be the only one of its kind in the Midwest. A major new feature was a window seat in each room which converted into a bed, allowing a parent to spend the night with the child to aid the child's adjustment to the strange medical environment.
(The University of Michigan: An Encyclopedic Survey, Vice President and Chief Financial Officer>Physical Properties>Buildings, p. 63)