The Intern’s Residence was completed in December of 1939 and was connected with the Hospital by an underground passageway. The building consisted of three floors in addition to the ground floor.
- The ground floor contained a trunk room, a photographic darkroom, a recreation room with an adjoining kitchen, and a handball court. Care was taken to place the recreational facilities of the building as far as possible from the living quarters so as to avoid disturbing those who must sleep while others were engaged in leisure-time activities.
- On the first floor, at the right of the main entrance, was a reception room
- On the east end of the second floor a lounge room, with paneled walls and built-in bookcases, afforded a magnificent view of the Huron River and surrounding country. The bedrooms, the majority of which were single rooms, had ample closet space and private lavatories. In addition, there were shower rooms, with marble shower stalls and marble wainscoting on each floor. Sixty-one interns were accommodated. The building was equipped with a loudspeaker system that extended to all corridors and recreation areas.