The State Psychopathic Hospital
In 1906 the state of Michigan built a Psychopathic Hospital just to the east of the Catherine Street hospital buildings. Michigan was the first state to establish a psychopathic hospital in connection with its state university. The purpose of the institution was to study and care for persons with mental illness. The hospital accommodated forty patients and served essentially as an observation hospital.
With the construction of the Neuropsychiatric Institute of the University Hospital in 1937, the Psychopathic Hospital became the East Hospital. In 1944 the building housed interns and was renamed the Beal Residence. The building was torn down in 1965.
East Hospital (1939-1944)
Beal Intern’s Residence (1944-1965)