Television Studio




The first Television Office in 1950-51 was in Room 4200, Angell Hall. During the first year of operation, the Television Office was combined with the Speech Department-Radio Office. A room in the basement of the Administration Building was assigned to television for the staff artist. In 1951-52 the Television Office was given five rooms in the east wing of the South Quadrangle. A classroom at 229 Angell Hall was remodeled as a temporary Television Studio for closed-circuit operations in February 1952. In the fall of that year the University leased the Dolph Funeral Home at 310-312 Maynard Street, and the offices were moved to that location. Remodeling of the building in the spring of 1953 necessitated moving the office to Room 225, Angell Hall for the summer of 1953, but upon completion of the Television Studio on Maynard Street in September, the offices and equipment were moved back to that address

Television facilities were secured through an initial appropriation of $75,000 for electronic equipment in 1951. In 1953, the Regents voted $69,150 for kinescope and associated equipment and $12,650 for building rehabilitation.

An application was filed with the FCC by the Regents for a noncommercial UHF television station operating on Channel 26 in May 1953. The FCC in November, 1953, approved this application with the provision that no construction should be begun on an antenna site and structure until approved by the FCC with respect to safety to air navigation.

The first floor of the TV building consisted of a studio measuring 42 by 44 feet, a scenery workshop, the control room, the master control room, film projection and kinescope room, dressing rooms, announcer’s booth, and reception and public observation areas. The second floor included space for offices, film editing and storage, graphic arts, and a conference room, which also served for public observation.

Garnet Garrison (The University of Michigan: An Encyclopedic Survey, p.1562)