Student Publications Building
The Student Publications Building was completed in 1932. The red brick and white stone building was designed by Pond and Pond of Chicago, architects of the Michigan Union and Michigan League. The land and building costing about $300,000, was financed out of profits from student publications.
The editorial offices of the principal student publications under the Board in Control of Student Publications (Gargoyle, the humor magazine; Generation, the arts magazine; Michiganensian, the yearbook) and the printing facilities for the Michigan Daily were housed in the Student Publications Building. It was considered to be the finest college newspaper plant in the country.
On the first floor there was a large conference room and an editorial office shared by Gargoyle, the humor magazine, and Generation, the arts magazine. The largest area was devoted to the modern printing plant, including a composing room with four linotype machines, a Ludlow machine, a Fairchild photoelectric engraver, and other equipment; the pressroom housing the $70,000 Goss Unitube rotary press, casting machines, and paper storage; and the darkroom.
The second floor housed the editorial and business offices of the Michiganensian, the yearbook, and a combined business office for all publications. The remainder of the large area was devoted to the editorial and business staffs of The Michigan Daily and contained a small office for the senior editors and a large city room with space for both business and editorial staff operations.
When the building was first occupied, because of lack of funds with which to replace them, the old counters, furniture, and typewriters were brought over from the former quarters in the Ann Arbor Press Building. In the summer of 1937 the offices were completely equipped with new typewriters and with new desks, chairs, tables, filing cases, and counters.
Brackley Shaw, Maurice Rinkel (The University of Michigan: An Encyclopedic Survey, p. 1732)