The General Services Building, later named the Administration Building opened in December of 1948. It was built under the Postwar Public Works Program.
The building housed:
- General Administrative Services (Regents, President, and other officials of the University and their staffs)
- Students’ Services (Office of Student Affairs, Deans of Men and Women, residence hall offices, admission and registration, etc.)
- Extension Service (Correspondence Study, Adult Education)
- Business Services (Cashier’s Office, Purchasing Department, Accounting Department, and Investment Office)
- Public Services (Information Services and News Service, and the University Broadcasting Service etc.)
The building was a large office building, and a maximum amount of window space affording natural light was incorporated in the design. The windows and window sills were of aluminum construction — no exterior painting was required and the maintenance costs were low.
The exterior of the Administration Building was a light salmon brick. (The students called it the "Salmon Loaf" because of its shape and color.) Above the front entrance, just to the left of the marble, stone, and steel façade, was a large electric clock — eleven feet in diameter — with stainless steel hands.