In 1921, at the time of the purchase of the site at the corner of South University and East University avenues for the University High School, the University also acquired for $12,000, as a part of this property, a house which had been owned by the First Presbyterian Society of Ann Arbor. A few years later, in 1927, the President and the Secretary expressed their approval of a three-year plan for the operation of this house as a University dormitory, and authorized the purchase of furniture and equipment, funds for which were to be repaid as a loan. In addition, the University was to receive a fixed monthly payment as rent. The house was first used for graduate women in 1930 and was put on the regular list of houses approved by the dean.
University House, of frame construction, had a floor area of 6,016 square feet and furnished accommodations for 14 graduate women. Its use as a residence was discontinued in 1949.
In 1949 the house was assigned to the School of Education to house such personnel and activities of the School of Education as it might serve advantageously. The basement and the ﬁrst ﬂoor of the house were allocated to the University High School as a laboratory for homemaking classes. The basement was converted by the students of the High School into a recreation room.
Ruth Gjelsness (The University of Michigan: An Encyclopedic Survey, p. 1727)