Homeopathic Hospital - North Hall
In 1899, the city of Ann Arbor gave to the University the property known as the Smith place for a hospital for the Homeopathic Medical Department. Stanton and Kirby were appointed architects for the building, which was completed in 1900. The building cost $80,306.50, and had a maximum capacity of one hundred and forty beds.
The floor plan for the building was in a “T” form. Each end of the top of the letter was a ward, and the base was occupied by the operating and clinic rooms. The building contained six wards and about twenty private rooms. It extended back over the brow of a hill, which made possible a basement and a subbasement, above ground level. Constructed of granite and gray pressed brick, with a red tile roof, the hospital was described in the Michigan Alumnus for November, 1900:
“The broad corridors, wide windows and glistening red oak woodwork make an attractive interior. At the end of each hallway are double glass doors opening into a ward, each intended for sixteen beds. At the front of each ward is a large sun parlor, to be used as a sitting room by patients able to leave their beds. Admirable forethought has taken care that there be no square corners or angles to catch dust and germs.
The plumbing attracts instant attention. It is elaborate and thoroughly modern. The Sturtevant heating system is guaranteed to change the air in the entire building every five minutes. The steam for the heating is carried from the University heating plant, a quarter of a mile distance.
The operating rooms are up to date in every respect. The surgical amphitheater is finished in gray marble and is a model of beauty and utility.
The site is particularly well adapted to the purpose. It is directly across the street from the University grounds and is on the street car line. The five acres of land and fine residence make up the grounds and house of what for generations has been one of the finest estates in the city. The Hospital was housed in this building until the Homeopathic Medical College was discontinued in 1922. In May, 1926, after the new University Hospital was opened, the Homeopathic Hospital was designated as South Department Hospital. The old hospital group of buildings on Catherine Street was designated “Convalescent Hospital”.
After 1940, the South Department for the University Hospital was no longer used. The building was renamed North Hall and was occupied by the University Extension Service, and the Naval R.O.T.C. From 1949 to 1951 The Army R.O.T.C. and the Air Force R.O.T.C. were also housed in North Hall.
Ruth Gjelsness (University of Michigan: An Encyclopedic Survey, p. 1696)