Homeopathic Childrenʼs Ward 1919 - 1922
Student Health Services 1922 - 1940
Museum Annex 1940-
The Childrenʼs Ward of the Homeopathic Hospital was completed in 1919 at a cost of $32,322.41. The building was constructed by the Department of Building and Grounds and consisted of three floors. It was occupied as a Childrenʼs Ward until 1922.
In 1921 the Student Health Service was made a unit of the new Division of Hygiene and Public Health. Before that time, the Health Service was housed in a house on Ingalls Street. In July of 1922, the Health Service took over the building which had served as the Childrenʼs Ward of the Homeopathic Hospital.
The entrance to the main building opened into a hall, on the left side of which were three offices for doctors and one for the dispensing nurse. Farther down the hall, opposite the entrance, was a large main room containing the business office and files for student records. Opening off this room, at the east, was a patientsʼ waiting room and, surrounding it, on the north and west, were offices and examination rooms for the various Health Services physicians.
Just inside the main entrance a stairway led to a second-floor room occupied by the nurse supervising the infirmary. At the east end of the building was a ward for women students and on the west, a ward for men.
The basement, which was partly above ground, housed the X-ray, pharmacy, and cashierʼs offices at the front, and a laboratory at the rear. The basement was connected by a corridor with the basement of the old Homeopathic Hospital, which housed the eye, ear, nose, and throat and allergy clinics of the Health Service. At the rear were a dietitianʼs office, dining rooms, and a kitchen.
In 1928, because of a larger staff, improved service, more space, and more adequate equipment were badly needed. Funds were made available which permitted expansion on the ground floor of the former Homeopathic Hospital. This space was used for a small waiting room, two physiciansʼ offices, and extended facilities for physiotherapy. New furniture, modern equipment, and X-ray facilities were also installed.
With the completion of the new Health Service Building in 1940, the old Health Service Building was taken over by the University Museums.
In 1940 the building was taken over by the University Museum and was named the Museum Annex. The larger part of the space, comprising the entire second floor and some rooms on the third floor and in the basement, housed the Institute of Fisheries Research of the Michigan Department of Conservation, which formerly occupied very congested quarters in the University Museum Building. The remaining space was used by the Great Lakes Laboratory of the United States Fish and Wild Life Service, the University Herbarium, the Museum of Paleontology, and the Laboratory of Vertebrate Biology,
Wilfred B. Shaw (University of Michigan: An Encyclopedic Survey, p. 1692)