East Medical Building
The East Medical Building stood at the angle formed by the junction of East University and Washtenaw avenues. Shaped somewhat like a “V,” with a short arm facing on Washtenaw, a longer one on East University, and a blunted end at the angle formed by these streets, it rose five stories above street level. Dark red brick, faced with white stone trim, emphasized its straight unadorned lines and helped achieve harmony with the East Engineering Building just to the south. The main entrance was on East University Avenue, in a section marked by four great engaged Corinthian pillars, with a smaller entrance on the Washtenaw side and two delivery entrances from the court.
The building was completed in February of 1925, at a cost of $858,283.32, providing 184,658 square feet of floor space, including space used on the roof. The University Buildings and Grounds Department acted as contractors, and Albert Kahn, of Detroit, was the architect.
The basement floor had two large rooms, one containing refrigerating machinery and an electrical switchboard, the other a completely equipped morgue. The first floor of the west wing included research rooms for anatomy and quarters for the animals needed in the work, as well as rooms for photographic and wax-plate equipment. Also on this floor were rooms for receiving, refrigerating, embalming, and preserving bodies. On the northeast side was stored material for the Department of Bacteriology with rooms equipped with special lighting for bacteriological research. In addition, space was allotted for photographic rooms, a general research room for advanced students, and quarters for the Pasteur Institute. The section joining the two arms of the building was taken up by classrooms and a large lecture room.
A general laboratory for introductory work in physiology occupied the second floor of the west wing, with accessory rooms for individual work in respiration and mammalian physiology. The second and third floors of the northeast wing were devoted chiefly to general bacteriological laboratories and accessory rooms, with private rooms for the use of instructors and laboratories for advanced bacteriology and parasitology.
The space between the wings had a large laboratory with additional rooms for general histology on the second floor, and on the third floor this part of the building housed a general laboratory for gross anatomy for students in dentistry and physical education. Rooms for galvanometric studies, used by the general class in physiology for special work in X ray, were in the west wing of the third floor, and laboratories for advanced work in physiology, with additional research rooms, occupied the remainder of this section of the building.
Wilfred B. Shaw (The University of Michigan: An Encyclopedic Survey, p. 1617)