Alice Crocker Lloyd Hall


Alice Crocker Lloyd Hall


In April, 1945, the Regents appointed a committee to study the necessity of new residence halls for women, and in May of the same year this committee was authorized to develop a plan for financing the construction of a new women’s unit to be situated between the Observatory and Mosher-Jordan Halls. These plans were approved in October with authorization to borrow the necessary funds (Regent's Proceedings, 1945-48, pp. 59-60).

A new women’s residence hall, later named for Alice Crocker Lloyd, class of 1916, was opened for occupancy at the beginning of 1949. The building, which was to house more than five hundred women, had not yet been completed so that only 284 students could be accommodated at that time. Women living temporarily in Victor Vaughan House and those living at Willow Run were given priority in selecting residents for the dormitory.

Although ground was broken on March 11, 1946, the building was not completed until June, 1949. Delays in receiving material because of nationwide building programs delayed construction, and, to ensure housing for returning veterans, materials and supplies were directed toward the other projects under the contract. There was also a shortage of labor.

Clare Ditchy, of Detroit, was the architect, and Knoll Associates, of New York City, were responsible for the interior decoration and the design of the furniture. The contractor was the George A. Fuller Company, of New York City. The cost of construction was $2,984,357.

Alice Crocker Lloyd Hall was modern in design, six stories in height, with a flat roof, and was constructed of red brick with limestone trim. The building was comprised of four different houses, interconnected, each having its own lounge, birch wainscoted dining room, typing cubicles, laundry facilities, music room, and study hall. All meals served in the four dining rooms, however, were prepared in the spacious kitchen which occupied the first floor of the building. The street-level second floor was devoted to the lobby, the house directors’s suites, individual house lounges, and the main lounge, which had a marble fireplace and library. Rest rooms, cloakrooms, and a mammoth telephone switchboard, which serviced the three residence halls on Observatory Street, was also on this floor.

Ruth Gjelsnes (The University of Michigan: An Encyclopedic Survey, p. 1712 )


Alice Crocker Lloyd


Alice Crocker Lloyd, a native of Ann Arbor, daughter of Alfred Lloyd, Dean of the Graduate School, and Acting President in 1925, served as Dean of Women from 1930 until her death in 1950. “Having shared the experiences of student life on our campus as a member of the Class of 1916, she came into the service of the University with a knowledge of its ideals and a sympathetic insight into the difficulties faced by its students in solving their academic and personal problems.” (Regent's Proceedings, 1948-51, p. 787)

The houses in Alice Lloyd Hall were names after four women who had played a major role in promoting women's activities in the University.



Sarah Caswell Angell

Sarah Caswell Angell, first lady of the University from 1871 to 1909, was particularly interested in student welfare and was one of the founders of the Women's League.
Alice Freeman Palmer

Alice Freeman Palmer (1876) was one of the first women to receive a degree from Michigan. She served as president of Wellesley, and was the first Dean of Women at the University of Chicago.
The University Main Building
Caroline Hubbard Kleinstueck

Caroline Hubbard Kleinstueck (1875, M.A. 1876) was the first women to receive a Master's Degree from Michigan. A leader in woman suffrage and in Michigan alumnae projects.
Mary Louisa Hinsdale

Mary Louisa Hinsdale Adelbert (1885, A.M. 1890, Ph.D. 1912) A native of Ann Arbor, gained recognition as a leader in the field of education, after completing her studies at the University.