(New) Athletic Administration Building
Weidenbach Hall

Archtect’s Sketch of New Athletic Administration Building

Work on the University of Michigan's new Athletic Administration Building was begun in August, 1954. The building was financed out of athletic receipts derived principally from football. It was expected to cost approximately $365,000.

The new building, on the corner of State and Hoover streets, had an area of approximately 19,400 square feet and housed a modern streamlined ticket department, offices for the administrative staff and director, quarters for coaches in all sports, as well as the athletic publicity department. It was completed in the spring of 1955.

The architects were Giffels and Vallet, Inc., of Detroit, and the Henry de Koning Construction Company of Ann Arbor, held the construction contract.

The former Athletic Administration Building was to be occupied by the staff of the Men's Physical Education Department.

Ruth Gjelsness (The University of Michigan: An Encyclopedic Survey, p. 1581) )

Weidenbach Hall

Jack Weidenbach - at the 1993 Rose Bowl - We Won

Regents' Resolution

The Regents of the University of Michigan, gratefully acknowledge the dedication and service of Jack Weidenbach as he concludes a 28-year career at the University.

Jack first came to the University in 1966 and for 22 years held an impressive array of positions, all of which were critical to the University's daily operation and the development of its physical plant. From his initial appointment as manager of Willow Run Airport, he advanced to director of plant exension (1968), director of physical properties (1971), and finally to director of business operations (1977). In the later position, he oversaw the building and maintenance of the University's physical safely, and occupational safety and environmental health.

A quiet, self-effacing man, Jack directed the explosive growth of the campus through some of the most turbulent periods in the University's history while never missing a step - a gentle giant to be sure.

And then in June of 1988, at a time when he could have been looking ahead to a quiet life of retirement, Jack was instead thrust into the spotlight of intercollegiate athletics when he assumed the post of associate athletic director. Jack's accomplishments in that post and in his subsequent positions as interim director (1990), then director (1991) of athletics have had a phenomenal impact on both the programs and the physical facilities of the athletic department. He has worked tirelessly to improve academic support programs for student athletes and to strengthen women's intercollegiate athletics to the point where true equal opportunity is now within reach. By not only maintaining, but enhancing the tradition of Michigan athletics, Jack proved to be a worthy successor to his illustrious predecessors. Under his stewardship, the athletic program achieved new heights of excellence and national recognition in many areas.

Few people have had as broad an impact on the University as has Jack Weidenbach.

(Regent's Proceedings, February, 1994, p. 212)

Jack Weidenbach (left) Jim Duderstadt (right)
On a trip to the White House Rose Garden
With the 1989 Michigan National Championship Basketball Team