Elisha Jones

 
 

Greek & Latin 1870-1872, 1875-1878, 1879-1888

ELISHA JONES was born of Quaker parentage in Cayuga County, New York, November 12, 1832. The family removed to Lenawee County, Michigan, while he was still a boy, and he was sent to school at the Raisin Valley Seminary. He entered the University of Michigan, where he was graduated Bachelor of Arts in 1859 and Master of Arts in 1862. Immediately after taking his Bachelor's degree he entered upon his career as a teacher, and had charge of the schools at Fentonville, Michigan, for a year. He was teacher of Latin and Greek in the Detroit High School from 1860 to 1867; and from 1867 to 1870 he was Superintendent of the Ann Arbor schools. From 1870 to 1872 he served as Acting Professor of Greek in the University of Michigan, during the absence of Professor D'Ooge. At the expiration of this time he went abroad for further study and travel, spending his time largely at Leipzig and Berlin. In 1875 he was recalled to the University, and for two years was Acting Assistant Professor of Latin in place of Assistant-Professor Walter, absent on leave. During the second semester of the year 1877-1878 he served as Acting Assistant Professor of Greek in place of Assistant Professor Pattengill, absent in Europe. He then became Principal of the Orchard Lake Military Academy; but in 1879 he was recalled to the University as Assistant Professor of Latin.  He was promoted in 1881 to be Associate Professor, which position he held at the time of his death.  He was the author of several very successful Greek and Latin textbooks”  “Greek Prose Composition” (1872); “First Lessons in Latin” (1877); and “Latin Prose Composition” (1879).  On December 22, 1862, he was married to Catherine Elizabeth Ewer.  He died at Denver, Colorado, August 16, 1888, and is buried at Forest Hill, Ann Arbor.  After his death Mrs. Jones endowed a Classical Fellowship at the University in his memory.


Burke A. Hinsdale and Isaac Newton Demmon, History of the University of Michigan (Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press, 1906), pp. 262-263.