william joseph hussey

 
 

Mathematics 1889-1891, Astronomy 1891-1892

WILLIAM JOSEPH HUSSEY was born at Mendon, Mercer County, Ohio, August 10, 1862, son of John Milton and Mary Catherine (Severns) Hussey. He traces his paternal ancestry to Christopher Hussey, who emigrated from England in 1630 and settled in Massachusetts. He received his preparatory training in the country schools and in the Normal School at Valparaiso, Indiana. He entered the University of Michigan and was graduated Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering in 1889. From 1884 to 1887 he was principal of schools at Ohio, Bureau County, Illinois. He served as assistant in the Nautical Almanac Office of Washington in 1889. In the same year he returned to the University of Michigan as Instructor in Mathematics, filling that position till 1891, when he became Instructor in Astronomy. From 1892 to 1894 he was Assistant Professor of Astronomy in Leland Stanford Junior University, and from 1894 to 1896 Professor of Astronomy. From 1896 to 1905 he was Astronomer at the Lick Observatory. In the latter year he was recalled to the University of Michigan to become Professor of Astronomy and Director of the Observatory. He is a member of the American Mathematical Society, the Astronomical Society of the Pacific, the Washington Academy of Sciences, and the Astronomical and Astrophysical Society of America. He is also an honorary associate member of the Royal Astronomical Society of London, and an honorary member of the Mexican Astronomical Society. In 1903 he acted as expert on Observatory Sites for the Carnegie Institution of Washington, visiting in this connection the plateau region of Arizona, the mountains of southern California, and various places in eastern and southern Australia. In the summer of 1905 he conducted an eclipse expedition to Egypt for the Lick Observatory. On June 27, 1895, he was married to Ethel Fountain (Ph..B. 1891), and they have two children, Roland Fountain and Alice Lilian.


Burke A. Hinsdale and Isaac Newton Demmon, History of the University of Michigan (Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press, 1906), pp. 328.